Self Assessment

Do You Need to Submit a Self-Assessment Tax Return?


If you’re self-employed, the director of a limited company or have received income during the tax year upon which tax is due, you have to complete and submit an HMRC tax return.

More specifically, you may have to complete your tax return online if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • Self-employed (sole trader) who has earned more than £1,000 in the tax year
  • A partner in a business partnership
  • Receive rental income
  • Receive income from savings, investments and dividends
  • Wanting to claim certain tax reliefs
  • Receive child benefit and your or your partner’s income was over £50,000
  • Have sold assets in the tax year, such as additional properties or shares
  • PAYE income of above £100K


0151 422 99 77